Every day we wake up, we are faced with a choice… whether to wake up on the right side or the wrong side of the bed. It may not be a conscious decision, but as our day goes along we come to forks in the road where we are challenged with circumstances that are less than ideal. It is at these crossroads where we have to choose how we are going to deal with the coming day.
When we choose to take the negative path, our day starts to spiral downward. What was once one problem, turns into another, making it easier and easier to continue taking the negative path. After walking down this road for awhile, we tend to group our problems together. So instead of having the one original problem, we have added everything else in our life that isn’t going quite right to our list of problems, creating a snowball effect. That bad hour or day, has turned into a bad week or month.
Yet, when we choose to take the positive path, our day goes a lot smoother. We still encounter the same problems, but we are able to take a step back and think of how it could be worse. And that ultimately, in the scheme of life, the problem really isn’t as big as we are making it out to be.
We may not have a choice what circumstances we are faced with, but we do have a choice in how we view the situation and deal with our problems. Being positive is a choice we have to make and the more we make it, the easier it becomes and the happier we are.
To help you wake up on the right side of the bed, here are just a few tips you can incorporate into your life to be more positive.
- Write it Out – Every night write down 5 positive things that happened that day. Focusing on the good takes the emphasis off of the bad.
- Retrain your Brain – If you notice your thoughts going down a negative path, learn to recognize it and take a detour. Try to think about something else that is more positive.
- Challenge Yourself – There is a silver lining in every situation. Learn how to find it.
- Outward Focus – Get outside of your head and focus on helping someone else.
- Get Active – Being active contributes to your overall happiness, which in turn helps you to be more positive 🙂
- Positive People – Surround yourself with positive people. People that will uplift you, encourage you, and inspire you.
- Forgive Yourself – A lot of negativity is directed at ourselves. Don’t be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes and you can do better next time.
- Read – Inspire yourself with positive quotes and Bible verses to encourage you throughout your day.
- Sing – Sing along to a positive song. It’s an instant mode lifter. Even if you aren’t feeling positive, a few fun and uplifting songs can shift your mode for the better.
Your mind is a powerful thing. When you fill it with positive thoughts, your life will start to change.